Wednesday, January 9, 2019

Spirituality of A Diocesan Priest

"Taken from the community , by the community, and for the community"

During my parish pastoral assignment here at Assumption Church, Petaling Jaya, I have come to a deeper realization of the spirituality of a diocesan priest. In my discussions with Fr Gregory Chan, the Parish Priest of Assumption Church, he explained to me that the charism of a Diocesan Priest is availability and the spirituality of the Diocesan Priesthood is from the people, for the people.

As I sat in the pews in reflection during Mass, I came to realization the depths of his view of the spirituality of a diocesan priest. Particularly with the readings from  Mark 6:34-44 ( Tuesday after Epiphany's Gospel).  A diocesan priest, draws his spirituality from his congregation, like how Jesus takes the 5 loaves and 2 fishes from the crowd that was following him.  From there, the priest sanctifies, blesses, break and gives back to the congregation their offerings, feeding their spiritual growth. Just like how Jesus took the bread and fishes, blessed it, broke it and shared it out - feeding 5,000 over with 12 basketfuls of leftovers.

Hence a diocesan priest, draws his spirituality from his flock, and returns it back to his flock, just as Jesus did at the feeding of the five thousand. As the congregation prays for their priest, he too prays for them in return, as well as to administers to their spiritual needs. This is how a diocesan priest, reflects the spirituality of Jesus Christ in his daily ministry.

No comments:

You are my son, the beloved, my favour rest upon you

The baptism of the Lord has always been a scripture passage that I have turned to in times of troubles and challenged. But it is also a p...